Monday, May 26, 2008

Progress on VoHRH

I was hoping to have this square (#6) finished before posting a progress photo of Village of Hawk Run Hollow, but I didn't get much stitching time in this weekend as things were a bit hectic. Hopefully I'll have it finished up soon.


So, as I don't have much stitching progress to share, I found another of these annoying questionnaire thingys to do instead. ;-)

1. How do you hold your fabric? I love my Q-Snaps and Lowery Workstand.

2. Floss licker? Urm... yeah. : ) The wee bit I've licked is never normally used anyway, because by the time I get to the end of it, it's cut off. Yeah, I know... TMI.

3. How do you thread your needle? Trim the end and/or lick it ;) and it normally manages to go through.

4. What needle do you like best? My favourite (that I've tried) are Piecemakers 28.

5. Are you a needle loser? Not anymore. A few years ago I lost a needle, spent about an hour looking for it everywhere that you could imagine (and I never did find it), and I was a nervous wreck that Snoops would find it. I vowed to be very careful in future about stuff like that, and I haven't lost any since then that I know of.

6. What fabric do you prefer to stitch on? Always Linen. It depends on the project, but always 32ct through to 40ct. Belfast, Edinburgh and Newcastle bases are my favourites. I do enjoy using the R&R linen for Blackbird Designs projects: though R&R isn't something I'd normally pick myself for other projects, as it's a bit on the stiff side.

7. Bobbins or floss bags? Floss bags for just about everything. I've never really liked bobbins. I even have a full set of DMC in floss bags. I took a couple of photos to give you a better idea of how I store my "master" DMC set:



I have 7 separate lots of DMC on the rings above (e.g., Ring 1 has DMC Blanc-372; Ring 2 has DMC 400-699, etc.. ), and they're all put into the basket you see. Using the floss bags are also good because you can obviously fit multiple skeins of each colour in each bag. I haven't come up with a better solution for storing my DMC so far (if I want to keep them as they are and not on bobbins, and storing up to about 8-9 of each colour in each bag if I want to). The basket takes up very little space in my craft room too. I've been doing this for about 6 or 7 years.

8. Are you a scissors collector? Not really, but I do have a few of most of the most popular scissors on the market (e.g., Dovo, Gingher, Dinky Dyes, Kelmscott... ) SO I guess I probably do have a wee collection, but I don't consciously collect them.

9. Do you do your own framing, and if so, do you lace or pin? My framer does everything. I've tried lacing and framing myself and it's come out fairly OK, but it's not something I enjoy and I don't feel confident enough in my abilities to do it right.

10. Are you a floss floozy? Oh yeah!

11. Silk? Love. Those I use most are probably Vikki Clayton and NPIs, but I also love AVAS, Gloriana and most of the others. The new(ish) Belle Soie has also become a favourite recently.

12. Railroader? More often than not.

13. Are you a pattern or designer snob? I've never really thought about it, but I probably am.

14. Do you get antsy when you give someone a stitched gift? Not usually. I'm selective about who I give stitched gifts to, and I'm fortunate that I have a bunch of people (friends, cousins, my mum and grandmother... asides from my grandmother and one cousin-in-law, all non-stitchers) that genuinely love stitched gifts. Mirabilia designs always seem to be a hit for non-stitchers for some reason!

15. Have you reached S.A.B.L.E.? Probably many times over.

16. Do you wash your projects? I try very hard to keep my projects clean so that I don't have to. The only projects I've washed in the past are those that were stitched entirely with DMC, and even then it's been very seldom that I've had to.


Thanks everyone for visiting my blog and your lovely comments! I always appreciate them so much.

9 comments:

Karen said...

How pretty! Love your meme, too. I don't think it's annoying at all! I just may steal it. ;)

glamlawlib said...

Great progress on VoHRH - any progress is good progress I reckon!

I was really interested to see your DMC storage - neat!

stitcherw said...

Your HoHRH is looking great, and I think you made good progress. This is such a big piece that it is a little harder to see progress sometimes I think. Your earlier finish of the coffee set was lovely. Glad that you didn't have any thread shortages to deal with on the last one.

Liked your idea of storing your DMC too. Holds the extra skeins, the smaller pieces, and keeps them all in one place, the basket is a clever and decorative holder.
Sue

Nicki said...

Lovely progress :) I do like that design - just don't think I'll ever get round to it!

And I love your DMC storage. Much neater and nicer than my shoeboxes :)

Anonymous said...

Now I'm really looking forward to reaching this block (hopefully in July): it's so nice seen at close range, just look at that lively fire! Great progress, Concetta!

Stitchingranny said...

I have always wondered why it is so awful to lick a thread. Well of course there are the germs it could pass on - but surely only to anyone who is going to lick the back of my work in which case they deserve all they get for being so disgusting. My needlework teacher at school licked her thread and my grandmother who was a highly qualified tayloress also licked her thread so if its good enough for them its good enough for me.

mainely stitching said...

I love your progress! :D

A packet arrived yesterday from you ... I haven't opened it, though I am consumed with curiosity!!

~Julie~ said...

Great progress on the village, Concetta! I'll look forward to peeking more often and seeing your progress! And....that wicker basket is a piece of eye candy! =) I like wicker! lol Anyhoo---keep up the beautiful work!

~J

Anonymous said...

Great progress on your VoHRH Tina!